I am David Leys
A passionate, dedicated and innovative lawyer who counsels and represents clients in European and International Business Law.
Having worked at major international law firms in Brussels, I bring an international perspective towards entertainment, privacy, IP, antitrust and trade.
Having attended twice the Marché du Film at the Festival of Cannes, I have experience in licensing, partnerships and NDAs for companies in the cultural and creative sectors. I have also pleaded before trial and appeal courts in Belgium for companies in commercial and IP laws.
Moreover, I advise and represent governments, Fortune Global 500 companies, and associations with respect to international trade and agro-food matters.
With an interest in technologies, energy and the arts, my other notable projects included dealing with an EU merger for Fortune 500 company and conducting due diligence for an IPO.
- Advertising, Marketing & Public Relations
- Anti-dumping, Countervailing Duties and Trade Remedies
- Celebrity Branding
- Commercial Litigation and Disputes
- EU Law and Regulation
- Global Policy and Advocacy
- IP (Trademark, Copyright and Patent)
- Privacy and Cybersecurity
- Public International Law
- Agribusiness and Food
- Aviation and Airlines
- Global Life Sciences
- Media and Entertainment
- Motion Picture
- Real Estate
- Video Game
- Columbia University, School of Law, New York City, Master of Laws (LL.M.), 2020
- College of Europe, Bruges, Master of European Law (LL.M.), 2012
- Université catholique de Louvain, Master in Law (J.D. equivalent), 2011
- University of Copenhagen, School of Law, Erasmus, 2011
- Université Saint-Louis, Brussels, Bachelor in Law (bilingual: French and Dutch), 2009
ADMISSIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Member of the Brussels Bar (Avocat) – A list
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E)
David published articles, case comments, book reviews and blog posts in the following journals and blogs: Harvard International Law Journal Online, Global Trade and Customs Journal, Columbia Journal of Law & the Arts (JLA Beat), The Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Blog of the New York State Bar Association, Revue du droit de l’Union européenne, Concurrences Journal, Bulletin e-Competitions and La Libre Belgique.
- University Foundation
- College of Europe Alumni Association
- Columbia Alumni Association
- Royal International Château Saint-Anne
- European Law Institute
- New York State Bar Association